At the end of 2019, we had a lot to look forward to in the year ahead. There were festivals, new albums from big-time favourites sure to land, and debut releases from Hype List alumni that we were all giddy about. Nothing could stop that right?! Erm. Yeah.
Look. We all know what happened next - and whilst 2020 can well and truly get in the bin for a whole range of reasons, we like to celebrate the high points no matter what. And let us tell you, Dear Readers, there were enough of them to go round.
Our Albums Of The Year are precisely that. They are albums that - in their own individual way - came to capture the year that was 2020. Granted, that may be the time we sat in the shower on staring at the plughole, or the time we spent ridiculous amounts of money on bundles that now adorn every single surface of our bedroom. We all know who we're talking about.
It's a gathering of some of our favourite records that made us laugh, smile or weep. Albums that reminded us that whilst things may have seemed pretty dark, there was always a bright light on the horizon waiting to arrive. Or something. You're crying. Shut up.
Right - ahem - less of that. Have a look through our Top 40 selections, as well as our thoughts on why each of the Top 10 records is so special. We'll set up the Zoom link for New Years now.
40. Boniface - Boniface
39. The Magic Gang - Death Of The Party
38. Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
37. Aluna - Renaissance
36. Yungblud - weird!
35. Creeper - Sex, Death and the Infinite Void
34. Dream Wife - So When You Gonna…
33. BENEE - hey u x
32. PVRIS - Use Me
31. Dominic Fike - What Could Possibly Go Wrong
30. IDLES - Ultra Mono
29. Sea Girls - Open Up Your Head
28. Lady Gaga - Chromatica
27. Pillow Queens - In Waiting
26. iDKHOW - Razzmatazz
25. Porridge Radio - Every Bad
24. Glass Animals - Dreamland
23. Soccer Mommy - Color Theory
22. Working Men's Club - Working Men's Club
21. Mura Masa - R.Y.C.
20. Another Sky - I Slept On The Floor
19. Bombay Bicycle Club - Everything Else Has Gone Wrong
18. Conan Gray - Kid Krow
17. Blossoms - Foolish Loving Spaces
16. Moses Sumney - Grae
15. Sorry - 925
14 Hayley Williams - Petal For Armor
13. Beabadoobee - Fake It Flowers
12. The Big Moon - Walking Like We Do
11. Haim - Women In Music Pt. III