Get to know debut album 'Pop or Not' a bit better ahead of the band's upcoming Barbican show.
Whyte Horses are taking over the Barbican in London next month for a night of special guests, including La Roux, Stealing Sheep, Badly Drawn Boy, The Go! Team and loads more. A rare live showing for the group, it’ll definitely be one to remember.
To celebrate, Dom Thomas has put together a playlist featuring a bunch of influences from debut album ‘Pop or Not’, a record the gig will see them play in full.
"This is a selection of songs that we listened to making the album ‘Pop or Not’,” he explains. “It’s a mixtape dedicated to the Frosinone region in Italy. I wanted it to capture the haze of the midday sun and the desert-like landscape. The light has a certain character over there I always get a mental picture of the landscape with a vaseline-covered lens feeling, these songs make me think of the hills.”
The tracklisting is as follows:
2. The Ballroom - I’ll Grow Stronger
3. Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians Section 1
4. Wolfang Dauner - Take Off Your Clothes
5. Jorge Ben - Oba La Vem Ela
6. Milton Nascimento - Tudo Que Voce Podia Ser
7. Donovan - Ferris Wheel
8. Doris and Kelly - You Don’t Have To Worry
9. Serge Gainsbourg - Evelyn
10. Ann Bogus - Don’t Ask Me To Love Again
11. Os Mutantes - Ando Meio Desligado
12. Elderberry Jak - Mr Sun
13. Arthur Russell - Instrumental 1D
14. Bob McGrath - Groovin On The Sunshine
15. The Herd - From The Underworld
16. The Fault Line - High Coin
17. Amory Kane - The In-between Man
Whyte Horses play the Barbican in London on 11th May. For more information, and tickets, visit barbican.org.uk.