Yes. We know this isn’t how 20 questions really works, but STFU, OK? This month, Deap Vally run the gauntlet of our random, stupid queries.
1. Hello. How are you?
Julie: Hi. Stressed to the ballzzz. Hungry. You?
Lindsey: I’m great, thanks!
2. What have you been up to today?
Julie: What have I not been up to? Getting buried in an avalanche of emails, wiping baby vomit off the floor, dropping my husband’s amp off to be repaired, eating quinoa, sweating.
Lindsey: I’m currently multi-tasking: Babysitting my nephew in San Diego, doing laundry, and watching the documentary ‘Being Elmo’ with my boyfriend, whilst checking and responding to my emails.
3. Tell us something about yourself.
Julie: I only ever wear one colour of toenail polish.
Lindsey: Beans are my favourite food.
4. What’s your favourite thing about being a musician?
Julie: Melting faces. Next?
Lindsey: Being on stage.
5. What’s your earliest memory?
Julie: No clue at all. If I told you one I’d be lying.
Lindsey: Standing in my crib.
6. What did you want to be when you were growing up?
Julie: Critically acclaimed actress of stage and screen.
Lindsey: Rock star or movie star—some species of star.
7. What’s your biggest fear?
Julie: Mortality as it relates to sharks.
Lindsey: Not living up to my fullest potential.
8. What’s your biggest accomplishment?
Julie: Doing 20 Questions for Dork Magazine, duh.
Lindsey: Deap Vally.
9. How do you relax?
Julie: I don’t.
Lindsey: Going to the Korean Spa, hiking, and watching movies.
10. Which defunct band would you most like to reform?
Julie: The Strange Boys. Next?
Lindsey: Led Zeppelin.
11. Which is your favourite type of pie?
Julie: Banana cream.
12. Do you prefer the city or the country?
Julie: Something in between is nice.
Lindsey: The country.
13. What’s the best song you’ve written or played on?
Julie: ’I want What’s Mine’. No one’s ever heard it but trust me it’s bonkers.
Lindsey: ‘Critic’, off our new record.
14. What was the last book you were upset to finish?
Julie: Goodnight Moon.
Lindsey: The Last Bad Man by Miranda July.
15. What’s the most impressive thing you can cook?
Julie: an Iced almond milk latte.
Lindsey: Spanakopita (spinach pie).
16. What last made you laugh?
Julie: My answer to the next question.
Lindsey: This amazing moment between rhinos that was caught on film in the BBC series ‘Africa’. This male rhino is trying to woo a female. She’s not interested at first, she starts to go off with a bigger male, until the smaller one comes back with a pair of antlers stuck to his horn that he found. He wins her over with the antlers. It’s so cute and hilarious and mind-blowing.
17. How punk are you out of ten?
18. You have to support either U2 or Red Hot Chili Peppers on tour. Who do you pick?
Julie: I would be lying if I said Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Lindsey: Red Hot Chili Peppers.
19. What’s your favourite smell?
Lindsey: Sweet pea flowers.
20. Have you ever won anything?
Julie: A microwave oven in a box of crackers, the Citizenship Award, Best Defensive player in 7th grade basketball, Perfect Attendance Trophy (never missed a day), Most Valuable Cheerleader (I kid you not), Most Improved in Soccer (I sucked), Most Valuable Volleyball player (I won whole games on my serve), and upwards of $40 on scratchers.
Lindsey: I won $700 at roulette in Vegas last time we played there.